Saturday, May 14, 2011

Arriving in Ghana




First of all I just want to thank everyone who contributed to helping to make this trip a reality. I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to be here and it wouldn't have been possible without the generous support from those who contributed.

So I arrived in Ghana at 7:30 this morning after about 20 hours of traveling. I was immediately immersed in the culture and generously welcomed by the people. Everyone was so interested and where I was from and what I was doing here.

Tumb of Kwame Nkrumah

I spent the day driving around the city. We went to the mall that they have in Accra, then to the museum of the first president of Ghana, Kwame Nkrumah, and then to the market. The driving is scary and something I would never attempt here. People drive in the wrong lane or make their own lanes and just turn right in front of each other making the on coming traffic stop. On our way to the market there was a huge dust storm so we moved into one of the small shops on the side of the road and we helped move all of their items inside and they people were so thankful and repeated "God Bless You" over and over. I love how friendly and loving everyone is! I also learned that my Ghanian name is Naniyaa (I am assuming that is how you spell it) based on the day of the week I was born on. Today I realized why it was so respectful to wash peoples feet in the bible... I would give anything to have my feet washed right now!

Tonight I am staying in a volunteer house with 12 other volunteers in Madina - Accra, and tomorrow I am going to the small village I will be working in. I am so excited to meet the other volunteers I will be working with and especially the children.



Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment